Casey & Cranbourne Veterinary Hospital are an independent, non-corporate small animal vet hospital with 5 vets, 8 vet nurses, 3 receptionists and a dedicated business manager.
Do you think that this role defines you and what you are looking for?
To join our team, we are looking for a vet who will integrate well into our vibrant, friendly team, located in Melbourne’s outer south east.
A typical day at the clinic is:
- Nurses on site 30 minutes before you start your day, admitting & preparing surgery cases for you by taking pre-anaesthetic bloods and placing patients on fluids
- A couple of hours consulting, routine and complex cases alike with two or three other experienced vets on site every day to support with case work up. Need x-rays done, bloods taken, ear smears or urine prepared ready for you to analyse? Ask our surgery vet nurses to do them for you
- After morning consults, you have a couple of hours rostered in surgery, working on routine desexings, lump removals, dentals & more complex surgeries if that is your area of interest. Vets on hand to scrub in if needed. Nurse to vet ratio for SURGERY is 3 to 1
- Do you prefer medicine over surgery? No problem. The role can be tailored to a vet looking to consult only • Your lunch break is sacrosanct. No-one asks you for med repeats or to talk to clients during your lunch • We will only see walk-ins & emergency cases based upon the clinics ability to manage the diary
- Nurse to vet ratio for AFTERNOON CONSULTS is 3 to 2; there’s always someone to assist • We have a dedicated cleaner so the nurses are able to focus on being one step ahead of the vets & providing outstanding patient care
- You will write your histories as you go, but if you need to stay to complete them, that’s ok, you’ll get paid for that too. At CCVH, you get paid the actual hours you work & that includes writing histories, phoning clients etc.
What can you expect from us?
- An hourly rate of pay that reflects your experience & your ability. You will receive the usual entitlements: – 4 weeks annual leave – a weeks paid study leave – $2000 towards continuing education per year
- You will also be eligible to receive a quarterly bonus based on exceeding your achievable milestones
- As an independent clinic, you can expect to have direct, immediate interaction with your employer & the full support of your managers. This is not lip service. You have an idea, a proposal, a problem, we are on-site and listening
- Dedicated reception staff who field calls for you. This saves your skillset and professional value specifically for veterinary work
- We have all the usual toys: digital X-ray in a dedicated barium lined X-ray room, portable IM3 dental X-ray, IM3 dental machine and Vet-tome, state of the art Mindray 9 ultrasound, Abaxis and Idexx in house blood machines, Imagyst machine for in house faecal testing and now programmed for cytology of FNAs (this is very new and exciting technology with a detailed cytology report by an online pathologist within 2-3 hours), TonoVet, 3 surgivet patient monitors (one for each anaesthetic machine), Braun IV drip pumps and syringe driver, 3 Bair Huggers, SunTech BP monitor. Want more toys? Put forward a proposal to the Business Manager and it will be considered
- Our software program is Vetlink SQL, designed to expediate your workload. We also have clinic memberships for VIN and Vet Education, an online Vet S8 register, online compounding etc
- There will be no sole charge (unless working Sunday suits your circumstances)
What do we expect from you?
- That you have the necessary skillset to fulfil your duties in general practice. Ultrasound experience would be awesome but not essential. If you are looking to get back into the workforce after taking some time off or you are a recent or new graduate, we have five vets with over 100 years of experience between them. There are always at least two vets on, each & every day for support & mentoring should you need it
- That you roll up your sleeves & get stuck in. We work as a team, supporting each other & encourage collaboration
- That you are passionate about practising high quality veterinary medicine; are enthusiastic; and have a can-do attitude, positive mindset & excellent communication skills
If the idea of being exposed to a wide range of fascinating medical & surgical cases, & working them up piques your interest, we would love to hear from you.